Although my title implies that I only have one favorite red lipstick, it’s not true. Not true at all. You see, I am a lipstick hoarder. The irony of it all is that I don’t even wear it that much. Not because I don’t like it, au contraire – I love lipstick. The truth is that I just forget to put it on. That’s why I’ve tried to love red lip stains rather than red lipstick, but they just aren’t the same. So, I keep all those lipstick tubes around for the (very) few times I actually use it.
Being the hoarder that I am, I had to make some hard choices before the Great Move of 2015. I was faced with pairing down my lipstick collection into just a fraction of what it was before, and it was hard. And red lipstick is kind of my thing, so these are the seven that made the cut. Does it seem like a lot? I don’t know, because I had 40 when I started. 40 SHADES OF RED LIPSTICK. I have a problem.
But not anymore! Now I have seven. And in no order of importance, here are my nominations for best red lipstick ever:
- Eddie Funkhouser Pulp Fiction: this is a super true red, just about as neutral as you can get, which makes it place high on my list. Too much orange in my red makes my face look sallow, and too much blue can make my lips look like they are bruised. It’s hard to find something in the middle
- Estee Lauder Simply Red: this was part of a holiday limited edition collection some time back, and I have no idea if they are still produce it, but their lipsticks are such high quality that they must have something similar. Beautiful true red lipstick.
- Chanel Rouge Coco 22 Paris: When Chanel released the new Rouge Coco line of lipsticks, I had to go try it out. The formula did not disappoint. It looks like it falls on the hot pink spectrum, but it really doesn’t on the lips. Stays true to shade.
- Avon Ultra Color Rich Charged Cherry: This has a touch of pink to it, plus lots of fun shimmer. Another holiday limited edition, and Avon always has a beautiful red lipstick every holiday.
- NYX Extra Creamy Round in Chaos: Such a deep, true red lipstick. This one is truly one of my favorites, and the price point is so good.
- NARS Audacious Annabella: This one might be more pink than red, but it’s close enough. If you haven’t tried the Audacious lipstick formula from NARS, you are seriously missing out. It’s amazing. Truly amazing.
- COVERGIRL Colorlicious Hot Passion: this formula is pretty amazing – it stays and stays but doesn’t dry out the lips at all. Might be more of a blue-red, so good for cool skin tones, or warm skin tones that want their lips to pop with red lipstick (like me).
When it comes to red lipstick, go bold or go home.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."