Yes, you can do this, I promise. It’s super simple, and even if you don’t cook you can do this.
Part of the fun of DIY is getting to take something basic and add your own spin on it, and this is one of my favorite things to put my spin on – body wash. The things you can add are endless, and you can totally customize it for your skin, your favorite scents, anything you like. Even the color, if you wish. Here is how you get started:
- Take one bar of soap, any kind you like, and grate half of it with a cheese grater. Any kind of soap will do, but some of my favorites are a beauty bar of some sort (drugstore brand unscented ones are great for this), or a natural type soap (the pure Ivory bars are also good), a glycerine bar if you want a more translucent gentle formula, or another favorite of mine, castile. Set the other half of the bar aside for a different day.
- Put your soap flakes in a small pot and add 2 cups of water. Set on medium-high heat (I usually put mine on 5). Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- When your soap is at a low rolling boil, turn your heat off. Here is where you add your extra ingredients. My favorites are: coconut oil, scent (essential oils or fragrance oils that are safe for cosmetic use), physical additives (oatmeal is great for calming irritated summer skin), aloe vera (another summer must have here at the beach), or really anything you can think of. The possibilities are endless. I usually add about 1-2 tablespoons of extra oils/additives. For scents and color, you’ll have to play with that to find your right balance.
- Stir well and set aside for about two hours.
- After two or three hours, when it’s obviously set, check to make sure it’s the right consistency for you. If you like it thicker, add more soap flakes. If you want it thinner, add more water. Bring it back to a low boil and repeat step 4.
- After it’s completely cooled, pour into your container. I like the squeeze bottles from Sur La Table.
That’s it! And you’ll impress everyone. This is also great to give as a gift, especially to your beauty people. They will love the extras and want to know how you did it, and omg, how amazing!
Trust me, I know.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."