I don’t think I’ve had my hair down at all this summer. It gets so humid here, and I really don’t like sweaty hair on my neck, so I generally have my trusted sock bun going on. But Herbal Essences Celebrity Stylist, Charles Baker Strahan has inspired me to maybe change my look up a little. Here are his three ideas for a stylish updos.
Stay Sleek in the Sun with a High Pony: Keep long locks off your face and neck in the hot summer months with a chic, sleek ponytail
Create a nourished and hydrated base in the shower with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner. The Hawaiian coconut and orchid fragrance will leave you smelling fresh, while giving your hair the moisture it needs to fight frizz
- Work 1-2 pumps of Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Defense Cream through damp hair and smooth from root to top with a wide tooth comb
- After blow drying or air drying hair, smooth small sections with a flat iron until they are sleek and straight
- With a soft bristle brush, pull hair back into a high ponytail, securing it with an elastic and smoothing any bumps with a comb
- Finish by misting Herbal Essences Naked Sheer Shine Mist for extra shine
Retrodiva’s Notes: if you have thick, coarse hair, forget about the soft bristle brush – they don’t do a very good job of gathering hair up. An 80’s style vent brush is your best bet. To wrap the hair around the pony, take a small section from the underneath of the pony and wrap it around the elastic and pin it securely with a bobby pin.
Beat the Heat with a Loose, Breezy Braid: After a long day in the summer sun, tame your mane with a loose tousled braid – this is a great style for second-day hair!
- Spray Herbal Essences Body Envy Dry Shampoo and rub it in at the roots to absorb excess oil and to add a bit of volume and texture
- Work 1-2 pumps of Herbal Essences The Sleeker the Butter Smooth & Creamy Hair Milk from root to tip to smooth strands and tame any frizz or flyaways
- Loosely braid the hair, either down the back of the neck or to one side, securing hair with a clear elastic
- Lightly pull apart each section of the braid to give it a loose, relaxed summer vibe and pull out a few face-framing pieces to keep it soft and romantic
- Finish with Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Tousling Hairspray for a touchable hold
Retrodiva’s Notes: after you separate your hair into three strands, tease each one for even more volume and looseness in the braid.
Top it Off with a Chic Top Knot: Top knots are essential for the hottest of days, allowing your neck and face to breathe while keeping you looking oh-so stylish
- Start with Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner in the shower to gently cleanse hair while leaving it fully nourished, smooth and soft
- Mix a drop of Herbal Essences Set Me Up Extra Hold Gel and Herbal Essences Moroccan Me a Miracle 7 in 1 Serum into the palm of your hands and work through wet hair for heat protection and shine, while also giving your hair the hold it needs
- Blow dry your strands and smooth hair back with a soft bristle brush, securing it into a high, tight ponytail with a clear elastic
- Twist and wrap the ponytail over itself into a knot, securing the end by criss-crossing two bobby pins into base of the bun
- Finish with Herbal Essences Set Me Up Medium Hold Hairspray to keep your bun in place all day long
Retrodiva’s Notes: Just like the ponytail above, you can take a small strand of hair and wrap it around the bun.
Shop the post: