Don’t get it twisted – we are talking about stuff that you put on your face after primer, which gives you coverage of some sort. But “foundations” just doesn’t cover all that anymore – tinted moisturizers, BB/CC/DD creams, “foundation fakers,” and so many other terms exist, but we think they all fall into the same category. And without further ado, here are my “foundations” that I just can’t live without:
- Benefit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous: Perfect for days when you don’t really need that much, just a “little something.” I think of this as a primer and foundation in one – it helps with imperfections as well as give light coverage. Oil-free for those of us who don’t need any help with that. This is my go-to day foundation, and I keep a separate compact in my purse for touch-ups. $30.
- Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation: what I use when my skin needs a little TLC. Infused with argan oil, this serum-based foundation gives some extra hydration without parabens and all those other nasty things. Contains skin-matching pigments that calibrate to exactly the right shade. I have no idea how, but it’s probably magic. $42.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation: my holy grail. When I have an event, or want to do an extra special job with my makeup, I reach for this one every time. Beautiful medium to full coverage, and keeps oily skin matte without looking 80’s-chalky. I hope this formula never goes away, because it’s my gold standard. $36.
- Neutrogena Shine Control Makeup SPF 20: My go-to for casual evenings out, when I’m not doing a full-on LOOK (complete with falsies and teased hair) but still need some oil control. Used with the primer and the finishing powder, this formula is top notch – especially for a drugstore line. Leave the powder at home, all you’ll need is an occasional blotting paper to keep your look fresh. $12.99.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15: When you need some long-lasting foundation that isn’t going to look over-done or caked on, reach for the tarte. Lasts FOR. EVER. without looking muddy or settling into fine lines that you didn’t know you had. I’ve put this on before going out one night, and managed to get away with it at brunch the next morning with very little fixing. It really lasts that long. $38.
- Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm SPF 20: A great daytime foundation that gives you anti-aging benefits as well as a light sunscreen and just a touch of luminizer to make your skin look fresh and clean. My current favorite BB cream, and I wear it constantly. $34
Shop the post here:
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."