Jake Bailey, celebrity makeup artist for CoverGirl, shares with us the breakdown of Katy Perry’s looks for both the red carpet and her performance at the Grammys this year. Here is the breakdown for her red carpet makeup look:
- Katy had a very clear idea of what she wanted for the GRAMMYs this year. She wanted sexy eyes, elegant lashes and she wanted to GLOW! I was quick to agree as I had seen the ethereal gown she was going to wear – stunning!
- I started by prepping her skin with Olay’s new Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream. This is perfect to use under makeup as it delivers lots of moisture but still feels lightweight and foundation glides smoothly over it.
- Once the moisturizer had absorbed, I got to work on the skin. Since we were going for maximum “glow” I mixed equal parts COVERGIRL BB cream and COVERGIRL TruBLEND Liquid Foundation on the back of my palm before buffing it all over her face and neck with a soft brush for sheer coverage and a polished glow.
- I started the eye look by painting a delicate line onto her lashline and a subtle “cat eye” wing in the outer corners of her eyes using COVERGIRL Bombshell Liquid Liner. I then coated her lashes with Bombshell Volume Mascara, top and bottom. I used the first coat to get that volumized look and then applied the second coat for the intense jet black wet lash look. I then applied Bombshell Shine Shadow in Gold Goddess into the crease of her eyelid and highlighted her lids and browbones with Flamed Out Shadow in Blazing White. I finished the eye look with a strong brow and a coat of clear mascara to hold them in place.
- Once I finished with the eyes, I warmed and highlighted her complexion using COVERGIRL TruMAGIC Sunkisser and Luminizer. I blended the Sunkisser along the hairline and into the hollows of the cheeks to add warmth and dimension. I then took the Luminizer and used it to add a golden glow to her cheekbones, tip of her nose and just above the cupids bow of her lips. Once I set the makeup with COVERGIRL + Olay Pressed Powder, I dusted a little bit of shimmery coral blush on the apples of her cheeks.
- I finished the look with a fresh coral/pink shade called “Heavenly” from the COVERGIRL LipPerfection collection and tipped it with a touch of balm for extra shine.
For the performance look:
- Once Katy walked the red carpet it was time to take her into the performance look. The performance was going to be dark and dramatic so we needed to make a change but had very little time. I made a quick change by adding a strip of spidery false lashes and adding another coat of Bombshell Mascara for extra intensity. I took my COVERGIRL Bombshell Liquid Liner and extended her eyeliner outward to look a little more “wicked.”
- The fastest way to dramatically change your look is always the lips. We went from a fresh coral pink to a deep cranberry and she was instantly transformed from ethereal red carpet bombshell into a sultry witch. The shade we chose was “Euphoria” also from COVERGIRL LipPerfection. She liked the color so much that she kept it on for the rest of the show as it went perfectly with her post performance outfit.
And for her nails:
- Katy wanted something really simple and chic to go with her red carpet dress and her performance look. We chose a light pink shade called “Everbloom” from the COVERGIRL Outlast Nail Gloss collection. It offered just a subtle hint of color to keep the focus on her gown and flawless face.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."