I’m a beach girl. Summertime is full of beach time for my kids and I, so sunscreen is something that I have to buy as regularly as milk in my house. And not just any sunscreen, either. I need sunscreen that goes on quickly, blends well, and withstands all sorts of water – from extended swimming sessions to jet ski spray. Oh, and it needs to be broad spectrum as well as UVA/UVB protection and an SPF of 30+. That’s a lot to ask out of one product, but this season has brought me a brand new sunscreen that I now can’t live without. Too bad it doesn’t help with the occasional burnt nose from someone who forgot to reapply.
This season, Neutrogena released their new Beach Defense line, and it manages to cover all my “must-have” bases. It’s water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, fast absorbing, non-greasy, and oil/PABA free. My kids love the fact that I’m not reapplying it every 30 minutes, and I like the fact that everyone stays sunburn-free.
Even though I spent a good portion of my time on the beach every summer, there are a few rules that I always follow:
- Beach umbrellas are amazing. Even though you still need sun protection when you’re under an umbrella, they can be really helpful at providing some much needed shade.
- The hours of 10 AM to 2 PM are the most intense when it comes to sun exposure. Take a page out of my playbook: sleep in and hit the beach a bit later in the day.
- Wear nothing less than 30 SPF. Seriously. You still can get a tan, if you’re that worked up about it.
- Sun damage causes premature aging in skin, especially on your face, so never forget your sunscreen whether you are at the beach or not.
- Sunglasses and hats (especially wide brimmed ones) are your friend. Use them as much as possible. Make sure your sunglasses protect against UVA rays.
Shop the products:
Let’s see what the other Makeup Wars bloggers are using this summer!