Sometime back in the late 70′s when I really started paying attention to stuff like shampoo, I remember having the Vidal Sassoon three step hair system and being extremely excited about it. See, I had read a print ad for Sassoon in one of the magazines, and thought that THREE STEPS to care for your hair was simply revolutionary. I was lucky if I could remember to put some shampoo in it when I got out of the pool. Nevertheless, I pressed for the “fancy” Sassoon bottles, and soon had the complete set in my shower. I remember being extremely impressed that it smelled like almonds. I thought it was the absolute height of sophistication – not hard to believe for a girl who lived in the heartland.
As the years passed, I moved on to other lines, and I forgot about my three step system. I was more concerned with which hairspray would hold up my intricate 1986-style mall bangs, and then I discovered hair color, and it was all over. It wasn’t until I was older and found a random brown bottle with the gold-embossed lettering and suddenly realized how much I used to love the products. By that time, though, the magic was gone.
Those of us who remember Mr. Sassoon and his geometric cut know that he was a major player in the hair game back in the day. And while Mr. Sassoon has passed on, his products are making a comeback with the new Pro Series for color, care, and styling collections, honoring his vision of everyone being able to master their hair.
The new Pro Series collections include:
- The Color Collection: Features advanced P&G technology to help seal, protect and hydrate color-treated hair while providing shine. Includes Collection includes: Color Protect Shampoo and Conditioner, Color Protect Spray, and Color Gloss Crème.
- The Moisture Collection: Fights humidity and delivers a correct moisture and hydration balance. Includes Moisture Lock Shampoo and Conditioner and One Minute Mask.
- The Repair Collection: Helps repair signs of damage and protect against future damage. Collection includes Restoring Repair Shampoo and Conditioner, Heat Protect & Shine Spray, Repair & Finish Spray, and One Minute Mask.
- The Volume Collection: Adds volume to hair, while protecting hair from premature breakage. Includes Boost & Lift Shampoo and Conditioner, Boost & Lift Hairspray, Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse.
- The Smooth Collection: Hydrates hair while minimizing frizz. Includes Extreme Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner, and Extreme Smooth Combing Crème.
- The Styling and Finishing Collection: Provides up to 24 hours of hold for personalized styles that last. Includes Flexible and Extra Firm Hold Hairspray; Extra Firm Hold Mousse; Mega Firm Hold Gel.
The new line isn’t limited to hair care products, either. Sassoon is rolling out 18 shades of home color, too. The exclusive VS PrecisionMix™ formula is mixed to calibrate the right blend of pigments, incorporating salon expertise into every box. The result is precise color with 100% grey coverage. The VS HydraBlock™ Color Preserving Conditioner coats each strand to help prevent fade out and keep the color vibrant.
Lucky for all of us, the Pro Series will be available at mass retailers in January, 2013, with a retail price ranging from $2.49 to $8.99. To get a sneak peek before the launch, head over to the P&G E-Store for an exclusive chance to shop the entire Pro Series line before it launches in January.
In the meantime, remember that even Warhol shilled for Sassoon back in the day. That’s how full of awesome it was. Also, I hope it still smells like almonds.