Ah, the dream of glowing, perfect skin. We all crave it, few of us actually have it. But there are easy steps you can take to ratchet up your glow factor, and none of them involve a day spa or fancy equipment. Just make sure to do them regularly, and you will see glowing results.
- Cleanse with the right cleanser. Not everyone needs an exfoliating cleanser all the time – that abrasion and irritation may be contributing to your breakouts. Choose your cleanser wisely based on your skin’s unique needs.
- Exfoliate once a week (maybe more, if your skin needs it). Just because you don’t need an exfoliating cleanser doesn’t mean you get to skip exfoliation altogether. Exfoliating is one of the best ways to increase your glow. Choose a microdermabrasion mask or a peel. Follow the instructions carefully, and watch the glow happen.
- Steam your pores. This is one of those tricks that can be used as often as needed. Boil water, pour carefully into a large bowl. Bend over it with your face about three inches from the water, and drape a towel over your head. Try to relax for about 10 to 15 minutes. Feeling green-goddessy? Add herbs to your water. Chamomile and lavender for irritated or dry skin, rosemary or thyme for normal skin, and tea tree oil for problematic skin.
- Nourish, moisturize, and hydrate. Every skin needs excellent moisture. Yes, even oily skin – especially oily skin after a round of exfoliation. Dry flaky skin is not glowing. Choose a hydrating cream and use it religiously before bed. Remember to take special care of the undereye area, and use an anti-aging formulation if necessary.
- Choose light-reflecting makeup when you need to boost your glow. There are so many excellent formulations out there for every budget. Just look for “light reflecting pigments” and remember to go easy. Use highlighters and primers for an extra boost.
Check out our slideshow below for some of our favorite products to help get your glow on.